Thursday, 24 December 2015

Top 10 video games (as of 2015)

I didn't play enough games this year to do a top 5 or top 3, even, so I'm going to list the top ten favourite games I have played. Bear in mind, this is all opinion, and I will be starting at number 10. So without any further wait, let's dive in. The list includes the platform I have scored it for.

10 -Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows (Xbox360)

I might consider this my favourite Spider-Man game. In it, during a battle with archnemesis Venom, Spider-Man accidentally receives a piece of the Symbiote, restoing his famous Black Suit and giving him new abilities. Soon, New York is overrun by a Symbiote Invasion as Venom discovers the ability to replicate. Technically, while Spider-Man 2 had more depth, this was the second Spider-Man game I played on XBox 360 (the first being the abysmal Spider-Man 3) and I have had many replays out of it.

09 - Star Wars Battlefront (PlayStation 4)

The first of the rebooted Star Wars Battlefront series developed by DICE and published by EA. I feel this could have been higher on the list, because it's still a fun shooter, but the lack of launch content lets it down, and the fact that there's a season pass that adds a ton of stuff to the game makes you wonder if they did slice tow game in two.

08 -Tomb Raider (PlayStation)

Another game that had a huge amount of mileage in the day, this game was one of my favourites on the PlayStation. It folowed Lara Croft as she journeyed to Peru, Greece, Egypt, then to the lost continent of Atlantis, in search of an artifact called the Scion. It spawned numerous sequels, a remake and eventually got two reboots (first a soft reboot in Tomb Raider Legend, then Tomb Raider, which I feel is too similar to Uncharted)

07 -Sonic Generations (XBox 360)

Undoubtedly the best Sonic game in ages, this was also let down by its lack of content, with a four hour completion time and no DLC to expand upon the idea. You play as both Modern Sonic as defined since Sonic Unleashed, and Classic Sonic in side-scrolling levels like the Genesis days. Mods on the PC have kept this game alive. It's still fun to pop in once in a while, though.

06 -Medal Of Honor (PlayStation)

This was my first first-person shooter, and it took me quite a while to beat it. It didn't seem as well-detailed to me as Medal of Honor Underground, but it was still a great shooter that gave you a history lesson and was more than just killing things. It's just a shame the series is now dead.

05 - Pokemon Blue (Game Boy)

While technically not my first Pokemon game (Yellow had that distinction), Blue will remain one of my favourites. I had a tough choice on whether to include Blue or Gold, and Blue won out, but only just.

04 - Medal Of Honor Underground (PlayStation)

I bought both Medal of Honor and Underground in a pack, so I got to experience both at the same time. I beat Underground first, and I loved its diversity of locations and weapon choice. It also had a bonus mission in which you played protagonist of the first game, Jimmy Patterson, as he infiltrated a factory making nutcracker soldiers.

03 - Star Wars: Battlefront (PC)

I first played this game on PS2, and I was hooked instantly, so I jumped at the chance to get the PC version when I could. Mods have made this game last a very, very long time. The only game better in this series was...

02 - Star Wars: Battlefront II (PC)

... which introduced a slew of new features: an objective-based campaign, Jedi heroes you could play as, space battles, a new Galactic Conquest. Once again, mods have kept this game alive, and each mod gets more and more creative. For instance, we now have seamless space-to-ground, ALA the cancelled Star Wars: Battlefront III, in there.

01 -Grand Theft Auto V (PlayStation 4)

I have played this game a lot on XBox 360, I have played through the campaign numerous times and it just doesn't get old. There's enough choice, enough differences in each playthrough, to keep you going on this game for a long, long time. On the PS4, there are even more features, such as a first-person mode, continued updates, higher detail... this is, for me, my favourite video game of all time, and it will take a lot of effort to knock it off the top spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment