I wrote this before it came to my attention that EA have been sending out surveys to players asking what they would like to see in the next game. I did not get the survey, but the timing couldn't be more appropriate. So treat this as my answer to the survey.
So, a lot of people have started switching off the game, I'd wager, because the same content gets old after a little while. Star Wars Battlefront held a decent amount of promise that has unfortunately gone undelivered.
Here is a list of what I would do in the next Star Wars Battlefront game.
-The Clone Wars and Second Conflict eras
The game chose to focus on Galactic Civil War only, but by the time the next game comes out, we'll have two films set in what I have taken to calling "The Second Conflict". I think this era needs to be included. The Clone Wars is also a massive conflict that needs to be included, not least as the era presents a wealth of locations.
-Better selection of locations
The idea of sticking to the Original Trilogy limited the planet selection somewhat, so tying into the point above, we should have better location selection, among other planets that should be included. Geonosis, Kashyyyk, Utapau, Naboo, D'Qar, Starkiller, Yavin IV, Dantooine: these would all be good locations for battles.
-Classes alongside a customizeable class
Battlefront's customization idesa are intriguing. But they don't have enough depth to stand on their own. So I would suggest bringing back classes from the first two games. These would each have a pre-set appearance, weapon and Star Card set.
-Better single player
One of the bhe big flaws with this game is its lack of single player content. This might surprise EA, but a lot of people who played the original Pandemic games played it solo. This game did not even get a campaign. Yes, I know I have ragged on the campaigns of the previous two Battlefield games. But this is Star Wars: there's plenty of places where they could insert a story that doesn't have to be built from the ground up. On top of a campaign, many missed the Instant Action feature, which was essentialy replaced with Battles. Instant Action doesn't have to have every single online mode, but some of them would be nice (for instance, Walker Assault, Fighter Squadron and Heroes Versus Villains would be nice).
-Bring back Conquest
Conspicuous in its absence in this new game is Conquest, a mode which you just capture all the enemy control points while defending your own. A new mode is presented called Supremacy but the rules of that mode are not the same as classic Conquest.
-Better vehicle selection
The game stuck to the films on vehicles, to the point where if it comes down to a vehicular showdown, the Empire always has the advantage. This needs to be changed so that the Rebels have an equal chance with vehicles. They could have poached some Clone Wars-era tech.
-Take the battle into space
It should go without saying. The clue's in the freaking title: "Star Wars", not "Planet Wars". So put some space action in there. In fact, prove Free Radical wrong when they said they were the only ones who could do it: make seamless ground-to-space a feature of a revamped Conquest mode. Make Fighter Squadron a space mode.
-Customizeable weapons
Why are the weapons in this game not upgradeable? Imagine some of the upgrades you could buy: increased fire-rate, better stock for steadying the weapon, switch out the magazine for one that won't overheat at the cost of needing ammo, increase mag size, scopes... endless possibilites for the weapons here!
-Improve the Star Cards
The Star Cards are an interesting idea, but they need to be improved on. First thing's first: ammo for certain types of Star Card. You should not have a limitless supply of Thermal Detonators or Ion Rockets. Second, improve the customization. At current, you only get one upgrade and that is to either reduce the cooldown time or increase the active time. Some of the above for weapons could go for this too.
-Improve the spawns
Spawns are a mess in the new game. I've had it where I'm playing Walker Assault, and as soon as I spawn, I get axed because an enemy spawns right behind me a second later. Tie the spawns to the team's objectives: the Imperials need to protect their AT-AT? Have them spawn at their walker.
-Mod Tools
This is one of the big bugbears for me. Why not release mod tools for the game? Please don't say it's because they're tailored to work on DICE's systems only, because that's insulting. Pandemic's were tailored for their machines, yet they released those tools to the public. Not only that, but Battlefront's arch-rival shoter, Call of Duty: Black Ops III is getting mod tools. You just know somebody will do a Star Wars mod for that because they can't do it with Battlefront. Some will speculate it's because users will create a 'better' game than what got released. But that's something EA has to consider. Modders have infinite time on their hands whereas developers have to work with the time given to them.
At the moment, this is all I can think of, but I think I've hit the major points I wanted to make. So, do you agree? Disagree? Want to add some to the list?
No comments:
Post a Comment